THE WOMEN'S EQUALITY AGENDA
In his State of the State address on January 9, 2013, Governor Andrew Cuomo introduced the omnibus Women's Equality Agenda, a groundbreaking agenda to break down barriers to women’s full participation in society and advance their health and well-being. A central component of the Women’s Equality Agenda is the Reproductive Health Act, which addresses critical flaws in New York’s current abortion law, making it possible for a woman to make her own health-care decisions during pregnancy, especially if her health is in danger.
The 10 points of the Women's Equality Agenda include:
• Achieve Pay Equity
• Stop Sexual Harassment in All Workplaces
• Allow for the Recovery of Attorneys’ Fees in Employment and Credit and Lending Cases
• Strengthen Human Trafficking Laws
• End Family Status Discrimination
• Stop Source-of-Income Discrimination
• Stop Housing Discrimination for Victims of Domestic Violence
• Stop Pregnancy Discrimination Once and For All
• Protect Victims of Domestic Violence by Strengthening Order-of-Protection Laws
• Protect a Woman's Freedom of Choice by Enacting the Reproductive Health Act
What Is the Reproductive Health Act?
The Reproductive Health Act is landmark legislation that we have spent years working to pass in New York State. It would update New York State's antiquated abortion laws and guarantee a woman's right to control her reproductive health. The Reproductive Health Act also ensures that a woman will be able to have an abortion if her health is endangered and guarantees everyone the right to use or refuse contraception.
Make Your Voice Heard Today!
As governors across the country continue their legislative attacks on reproductive health and rights, we are proud to have a governor who is clearly dedicated to helping women lead safe, healthy lives. Show your support for Governor Cuomo and the Women's Equality Agenda by signing the petition urging swift passage of this legislation.
For Updates on Women’s Equality Agenda News and Happenings: