On this day, show your support for safe and legal abortion services and the heroes who provide them.
The National Day of Appreciation for Abortion Providers was initiated in 1996 and co-sponsored by many national organizations, as a way to help create a positive climate for abortion providers across the country.
March 10 is the anniversary of the assassination of Dr. David Gunn, the first abortion provider murdered. It is a day to remember and honor Dr. Gunn and others who put their lives on the line daily to make reproductive freedom possible. Without abortion providers, women would not have the freedom to make their own personal medical decisions.
We must change the overall climate from one where abortion providers are vilified and attacked to one where they are honored and upheld as the heroes they are. Here's what you can do:
1. Send a thank-you note to PPNYC’s abortion providers at firstname.lastname@example.org to thank them for their heroism, perseverance, courage, and commitment to women. Or, send a story about how safe and legal abortion services have affected your life or the life of a loved one. We will forward your confidential message to our abortion providers.
2. Send flowers to reproductive health centers near you. PPNYC health centers are located in four New York City boroughs:
MANHATTAN -- Margaret Sanger Center/ 26 Bleecker St./ New York, N.Y. 10012
BROOKLYN -- Boro Hall Center/ 44 Court St., 6th Floor/ Brooklyn, N.Y. 11201
BRONX -- Bronx Center/ 349 East 149th St., 2nd Floor/ Bronx, N.Y. 10451
STATEN ISLAND -- Staten Island Center/ 23 Hyatt St./ Staten Island, N.Y. 10301
3. Volunteer as a clinic escort. If you are interested in escorting at a PPNYC health center, please contact our Volunteering Program at (212) 274-7284.
4. Sign up to join PPNYC’s Action Network so you can stay informed about the issues and take action to protect reproductive freedom.
5. Make a donation to support the work of Planned Parenthood’s abortion providers.