close

1916 - 1952

1916
Margaret Sanger opens the world’s first birth control clinic in New York City and women line up to get life-saving birth control information. Nine days later Sanger is jailed for violating the Comstock obscenity laws. The clinic is shut down, but a movement is born.

The Comstock laws, which were enacted in the 1880’s, prohibit the transport of birth control devices or information through the mail, and effectively make it illegal for women to get contraception.

1917
Margaret Sanger speaks to a capacity group at the Minneapolis Public Library.  (Minneapolis or Minnesota Birth Control League is referenced in Margaret Sanger’s papers).

1928
The Motherhood Protection League is established in Minnesota, and Planned Parenthood’s history in our region begins.

1931
Minnesota Birth Control League opens a birth control clinic in Minneapolis.

1935
St. Paul Maternal and Child Health Center is established, and a clinic is opened in the Hamm Building in downtown St Paul.  The clinic is funded by the St. Paul Jewish Women's Council.  In Northern Minnesota, the St. Louis County League for Planned Parenthood is established.

Late 1930s
The Motherhood Protection League of Rochester is established, and the Olmstead County Maternal Health Center opens.

1937
The American Medical Association recognizes birth control as an essential health service, lending influential credibility to Margaret Sanger's work of the past two decades.

1944
Minnesota League for Planned Parenthood is created as a joint venture between Planned Parenthood Leagues in Hennepin, Ramsey, Olmsted and St. Louis Counties.

1950
Margaret Sanger and Planned Parenthood Federation underwrite the first research to find an excellent oral contraceptive method for women.


Find A Health Center

or

Or Call
1-800-230-PLAN