Planned Parenthood of Maryland is committed to protecting your privacy when it comes to your healthcare and medical records.
If you call us to request test results or confirm an appointment, we will ask you specific identifying questions before releasing information or acknowledging you have an appointment with us. You can also request that we only communicate with you in a certain manner or at a certain location, such as at work or by mail to a post office box. During your initial visit and periodically thereafter, we will ask you how you wish to receive communications about your health care or for any other instructions on notifying you about your health information. We will accommodate all reasonable requests.
To have us transfer your medical records to another provider, or for us to get your records from another provider, we need your written authorization. To do this:
- Print the Authorization Form for Release of Health Information.
- Complete the form, and sign and date it. Then fax, mail or bring the completed form to the Planned Parenthood of Maryland Health Center where you are a patient.
Your health care information is protected by the federal law called the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). The privacy and security provisions of HIPAA require us to:
- Make sure that health information that identifies you is kept private.
- Make available our Notice of Health Information Privacy Practices (NHIPP).
- Follow the terms of the NHIPP that is currently in effect.
Under HIPAA, you have certain rights to:
- Inspect and copy health information that may be used to make decisions about your care.
- Request an amendment to your health information, if you feel the health information we have is incorrect or incomplete.
- Request a list of any disclosures of your health information we have made, except for uses and disclosures for treatment, payment, and health care operations as defined in the Notice of Health Information Privacy Practices.
- Request a restriction or limitation on the health information we use of disclose about you for treatment, payment, and health care operations.
Please contact the Health Center where you are a patient to get the appropriate forms for any of the above.