Make Your Gift
Make Your Gift


For Patients Under 18 When Considering Abortion

If you are under 18 and have never been married, the law says you need to have the permission of one of your parents or a judge to have an abortion in Massachusetts.

The hotline counselors here at Planned Parenthood can help you:

  • Decide what you want to do;
  • Figure out a way to talk to your parents if you choose to obtain parental consent;
  • Obtain judicial consent for an abortion by finding you a free lawyer and preparing you for your court hearing;
  • Find ways to pay for an abortion.

Call the Planned Parenthood Sexual Health Counseling and Referral Hotline at 1-800-258-4448, option 3 to speak with one of our trained counselors. Counselors are available:
Monday 9am - 8pm
Tuesday 9am - 8pm
Wednesday 9am - 5pm
Thursday 9am - 8pm
Friday 9am - 6pm
Saturday 9am - 2pm

You will need permission from a parent or a judge even if you do not live with your parents or you already have a child. If you are under 18 and choose to have an abortion, you have to do one of the following:

  • Get written permission from one of your parents to have the abortion. This means a parent or legal guardian (someone with court papers showing they have custody of you) has to come with you to your appointment and sign a form.  If you are in DCF or DYS custody (in foster care or incarcerated), you need to go court even if your parents or foster parents are willing to give you consent.
  • Go to court in Massachusetts to have a judge decide if you are mature enough to make this decision without involving your parent. This is called a "judicial bypass." Learn more about judicial bypass.
  • Have the abortion in a state that does not require parental or judicial consent before a woman under 18 can have an abortion. Maine, New York, Connecticut, and Vermont do not require parental or judicial consent.

Find A Health Center


Or Call