1. Where can I drop off books?
Drop off books at the Jacqueline N. Blank Book Drop, 123 Clark Street in Des Moines. There are no set hours of operation, books may be dropped off 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There are four book chutes–-two chutes accommodate boxed books, two chutes accommodate loose and/or bagged books. Donations are no longer accepted at our old location at 19th and Cottage Grove.
2. How do I get to the Jacqueline N. Blank Book Works?
- From I-235 take 2nd Ave./3rd St. exit and go NORTH on 2nd Ave. past the main Des Moines Post Office.
- Turn RIGHT (east) on Clark St. Clark is the 3rd right past University Ave.
- Book Drop is yellow building on left with large book mural.
3. What materials do you accept?
With the exceptions noted below, we gladly accept most books and magazines in good condition, including large print and children's editions of Reader's Digest. We also accept tapes, records, CDs, DVDs, videos, games and puzzles in good condition.
Experience tells us that not all materials will sell during our two annual sales. Thus, we have developed the following general guidelines for what we cannot accept.
For questions about a specific item please call 515.235.0406.
We CANNOT accept any of the following donations:
Any materials in poor condition (e.g. dirty, cover missing, water damaged) Books we CANNOT accept:
- Encyclopedias over 20-years-old
- Law book sets
- Reader’s Digest condensed
- Textbooks older than 10 years
- Law, medical, business, insurance, banking and real estate texts older than 5 years
Magazines we CANNOT accept:
Professional journals (except music journals)
- Magazines more than 2-years-old
- Financial and business magazines
- Weekly news magazines
- Farming magazines
- Women’s home magazines (e.g., Family Circle, Good Housekeeping)
- New Yorker, Saturday Review, Harper’s and Atlantic
- National Geographic (dated after 1950 to 2004)
- We cannot pick-up magazines outside of the Des Moines area due to the volume of magazines that are donated.
4. Can I get a receipt?
Receipts for books you value less than $250 are available at the Book Drop. If you make a donation you value at $250 or higher please call 515.235.0406 to have a receipt mailed to you.
5. Will you pick up my books?
If you are in a 50 to 60 miles radius of Des Moines and we have volunteers available in the area, PP Heartland may be able to arrange a pick-up. The pick-up will generally occur within a week of your call. Books should be boxed for pick-up and placed on a ground floor. Pick-ups beyond a 60 miles radius of Des Moines will be decided on a case-by-case basis. To arrange a pick-up, call 515.235.0406. Please have the following information ready:
- Donor name, contact person (if different), address and phone number.
- Quantity of books (e.g., how many boxes, bags, bundles; how big are the boxes)
- Location of books (e.g., basement, garage, first floor)