Here is a state-by-state snapshot of the results.
- All but one of our endorsed candidates won. (Good news!)
- Republicans gained seats in the House. Democrats gained seats in the Senate. Control of both houses remains in the hands of the Democrats.
- Gov. Manchin won the U.S. Senate race and a new Governor must now be appointed.
- Three Democratic Congressmen were defeated: Nye, Perriello, and Boucher. Congressman Rick Boucher has been a long-time 100% pro-choice supporter of reproductive rights. He was endorsed by Planned Parenthood.
- Secretary of State Elaine Marshall was defeated by Richard Burr for US Senate. Marshall was endorsed by Planned Parenthood and is a long-time supporter of reproductive freedom.
- Incumbent pro-choice Congressmen David Price, Brad Miller, and Melvin Watt won re-election. (Good news!)
- Mixed choice incumbent Bob Etheridge is currently trailing Renee Ellmers, and has called for a recount.
- Both houses of the state legislature are now controlled by anti-choice majorities.
- 13 of 17 of our endorsed Senate candidates won. 28 of our 34 endorsed House candidates won.
- All three of our endorsed candidates for Wake County Board of Commissioners lost, meaning that we are sure to see a rehashing of the employee insurance abortion ban.
Starting today, we have a tough fight on our hands. The months ahead will not be easy. Anti-choice politicians in every chamber from Congress to our State Legislatures to our County Commissioners will likely seek to restrict the rights of women. The stakes are as high as they've ever been.
Now more than ever, we must work to protect reproductive health and rights. Make no mistake about it: Planned Parenthood is here for the women, men, and teens who rely on us no matter what.
We will never stop caring for women, and we will never stop fighting for women's rights.
No election will change that.