- Who We Are
- Our Leadership
- Local & State Offices
- Planned Parenthood Global
- The Affordable Care Act
- Birth Control: Plan and Protect Your Future
- Komen Foundation Restores Funding for Breast Cancer Screenings at Planned Parenthood Health Centers
- Let's Talk Month
- Breast Health Initiative
- Executive Team and National Spokespersons
- Press Releases
- In the News
- Fact Sheets & Reports
- PPFA Maggie Awards for Media Excellence
- PPFA Margaret Sanger Award Winners
- Planned Parenthood Gift Policy
- Advisory Boards & Initiatives
- Jobs & Volunteering
- Annual Report
- About This Site
- Contact Us
Planned Parenthood: Sen. Lautenberg Leaves Incredible Legacy for Women in U.S. and Around the World
NEW YORK, NY – Planned Parenthood Federation of America and Planned Parenthood Affiliates of New Jersey released the following statements honoring the life of New Jersey Senator Frank R. Lautenberg:
Statement of Cecile Richards, President, Planned Parenthood Federation of America:
“Today we have lost an unwavering champion for women in the U.S. and around the world. While he may be gone, Senator Lautenberg leaves an incredible legacy which will continue to benefit millions of women for generations to come. Throughout his distinguished career he fought to protect and expand U.S. support for international women’s health programs, comprehensive sex education, and access to safe, legal abortion. Thanks to Senator Lautenberg, millions of women and families have and will continue to lead healthier, more productive lives. We are deeply grateful for his lifetime of service, and our thoughts are with his family during this difficult time.”
Statement of Ed Remsen, Executive Director Planned Parenthood Affiliates of New Jersey:
“For nearly 30 years, Senator Lautenberg fought in Washington on behalf of New Jersey women – scoring victories that have helped improve the lives of them and their families. When some in Congress attempted to eliminate funding for Planned Parenthood’s preventive health services, Senator Lautenberg was one of our strongest allies – fighting back and working with us to successfully defeat these attacks on women’s health. His leadership in the Senate will be greatly missed, but never forgotten.”
Senator Lautenberg’s Support for Women’s Health in the U.S. and Globally:
• Senator Frank R. Lautenberg fought to protect Planned Parenthood against congressional attempts to defund Planned Parenthood health centers, which would have reduced women’s access to cancer screenings and essential contraception.
• Fought to pass the Affordable Care Act, which ensures access to birth control with no co-pay for millions of women in the U.S.
• Fought to permanently repeal the global gag rule, a law that prevents the U.S. from providing financial aid for contraception to international family planning organizations that use their own funding to provide legal abortions.
• Fought to protect and expand the U.S. contribution to the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), which works directly with governments in over 150 countries around the world to improve health care and strengthen health systems.
• Championed the Responsible Education About Life (REAL) Act to address teen pregnancy prevention and expand access to comprehensive sex education.
Planned Parenthood is the nation’s leading provider and advocate of high-quality, affordable health care for women, men, and young people, as well as the nation’s largest provider of sex education. With more than 750 health centers across the country, Planned Parenthood organizations serve all patients with care and compassion, with respect and without judgment. Through health centers, programs in schools and communities, and online resources, Planned Parenthood is a trusted source of reliable health information that allows people to make informed health decisions. We do all this because we care passionately about helping people lead healthier lives.