- Who We Are
- Our Leadership
- Local & State Offices
- Planned Parenthood Global
- The Affordable Care Act
- Birth Control: Plan and Protect Your Future
- Komen Foundation Restores Funding for Breast Cancer Screenings at Planned Parenthood Health Centers
- Let's Talk Month
- Breast Health Initiative
- National Spokespersons
- Press Releases
- In the News
- Fact Sheets & Reports
- PPFA Maggie Awards for Media Excellence
- PPFA Margaret Sanger Award Winners
- Planned Parenthood Gift Policy
- Advisory Boards & Initiatives
- Jobs & Volunteering
- Annual Report
- About This Site
- Contact Us
Planned Parenthood Denounces Paul Ryan Budget
WASHINGTON — Planned Parenthood Federation of America President Cecile Richards urged the House of Representatives to reject the budget proposed by Representative Paul Ryan (R-WI) when it comes up for a vote today. Paul Ryan’s budget proposal is anything but a “Path to Prosperity” — it is an out-of-touch proposal that hurts women and their families.
“It’s clear that Republican leadership — including former Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan — has learned nothing from last year’s election, when voters rejected an anti-women’s health agenda that made budget cuts on the backs of women and their families.
“The Paul Ryan budget is more of the same. It sacrifices women’s access to health care by repealing the Affordable Care Act, gutting Medicaid, and ending Medicare as we know it. It undermines access to critical reproductive health care, including no co-pay birth control, for millions of women.
“As a trusted health care provider to one in five women in the United States, Planned Parenthood understands the real health and economic impact that these cuts would have on women and their families across the country. We urge the House of Representatives to reject this dangerous proposal, and instead advance alternative proposals that will not balance our budget on the backs of our nation’s most vulnerable.”
• Rep. Ryan’s budget would undermine women’s health by completely dismantling Medicaid, which provides basic health care and family planning to millions of women, including well-woman exams, lifesaving cancer screenings, and birth control.• Rep. Ryan’s proposal would gut the essential protections of Medicaid, opening the door for states to eliminate the family planning services it provides. This would result in millions of women potentially losing access to basic preventive health care.• Rep. Ryan’s budget ignores the fact that investing in family planning actually helps reduce the deficit. Studies show that for every public dollar invested in family planning programs, taxpayers save nearly $4.• The Ryan budget further jeopardizes access to basic health care by proposing to overturn the Affordable Care Act (ACA), taking away important benefits that Americans already enjoy.• The ACA is the biggest advance in women’s health in a generation. It is groundbreaking legislation that promotes the health of women by ensuring coverage of preventive care, such as lifesaving cancer screenings, birth control, and immunizations, with no co-pays; ends discriminatory practices against women, such as charging women higher premiums and denying coverage for “pre-existing conditions”; and expands coverage for young adults by allowing them to stay on their parents’ health plan until age 26; among many other benefits.• Rep. Ryan’s proposal to repeal ACA would mean more women would be uninsured, women would lose ACA’s important protection against unfair discriminatory practices, and women would be forced to pay more for health care and get less for their money than men.