- Who We Are
- Our Leadership
- Local & State Offices
- Planned Parenthood Global
- The Affordable Care Act
- Birth Control: Plan and Protect Your Future
- Komen Foundation Restores Funding for Breast Cancer Screenings at Planned Parenthood Health Centers
- Let's Talk Month
- Breast Health Initiative
- National Spokespersons
- Press Releases
- In the News
- Fact Sheets & Reports
- PPFA Maggie Awards for Media Excellence
- PPFA Margaret Sanger Award Winners
- Planned Parenthood Gift Policy
- Advisory Boards & Initiatives
- Jobs & Volunteering
- Annual Report
- About This Site
- Contact Us
Melissa Harris-Perry, Family Circle, Katha Pollitt, Maria Hinojosa Among Planned Parenthood’s 2013 Maggie Award Winners for Media Excellence
WASHINGTON – Today, Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) presented the 2013 Maggie Awards for Media Excellence in 12 categories to journalists, bloggers, and digital media innovators for their exceptional coverage of reproductive rights and health care issues. The awards luncheon was part of Planned Parenthood’s annual Organizing and Policy Summit, which brings together hundreds of Planned Parenthood staff and volunteers from across the country.
“We are thrilled to honor these journalists, who have produced powerful stories that give millions of Americans a better understanding of the important issues that shape our lives,” said PPFA president Cecile Richards. “These are the stories that educate and empower all of us.”
For the second year, the Planned Parenthood Maggie Awards recognized two new categories for community/personal blog and digital and social media, recognizing digital media frontrunners that are raising awareness, connecting supporters, and even driving traditional media coverage.
This year’s Maggie Award winners covered a range of topics, including the ongoing attacks on access to birth control and reproductive health care around the country; the lives of young Americans living with HIV; giving young people and their families the tools to make healthy decisions about sex; Mississippi’s last abortion provider; and understanding the lives of transgender children and their families.
The 2013 Maggie Award winners are
· TV News Reporting: Melissa Harris-Perry, MSNBC, for her coverage of the federal and state-level political attacks on women’s health, family planning funding, and health care access
· General Interest Magazine Reporting: Family Circle, for the publication’s coverage, both in print and online, of Let’s Talk Month, encouraging open, healthy discussion between parents and children about issues of sex and sexuality
· Commentary: Katha Pollitt, The Nation, for her “Subject To Debate” column
· Daily/Weekly Print Reporting: Petula Dvorak, The Washington Post, for her sensitive and moving series on transgender children centered around“Transgender at Five”
· Radio Reporting: Maria Hinojosa, National Public Radio, for her July 2012 piece highlighting the danger posed to women by Mississippi state legislators’ efforts to shut down the last remaining abortion provider in the state
· Women’s Magazine: Gretchen Voss and Lisa Bain, Women’s Health, for “Special Report: Are Your Birth Control Rights Endangered?”
· Online Reporting: Katie J.M. Baker, Jezebel, for her ongoing original coverage of reproductive health news and legislation
· TV Documentary: Lauren Bosworth, John Ferriter, Howard Lapides, Dr. Drew Pinsky, David Stanley, and Siobhan Walshe, Executive Producers, I’m Positive, MTV
· Digital and Social Media: Ultraviolet, for their Rick Ross/Reebok campaign
· Youth Media: Seventeen, for the publication’s commitment — in print and online — to ensuring its readers have accurate information about sex, healthy relationships, and their bodies
The awards were presented by Melissa Harris-Perry, host of MSNBC’s Melissa Harris-Perry, Tulane University professor of political science, and author ofSister Citizen: Shame, Stereotypes, and Black Women in America.
You can read more about the Planned Parenthood Maggie Awards on Planned Parenthood’s website. Check back in early 2014 for nomination forms for the 2014 awards.
Planned Parenthood is the nation’s leading provider and advocate of high-quality, affordable health care for women, men, and young people, as well as the nation’s largest provider of sex education. With nearly 750 health centers across the country, Planned Parenthood organizations serve all patients with care and compassion, with respect and without judgment. Through health centers, programs in schools and communities, and online resources, Planned Parenthood is a trusted source of reliable health information that allows people to make informed health decisions. We do all this because we care passionately about helping people lead healthier lives.