- Who We Are
- Our Leadership
- Local & State Offices
- Planned Parenthood Global
- The Affordable Care Act
- Birth Control: Plan and Protect Your Future
- Komen Foundation Restores Funding for Breast Cancer Screenings at Planned Parenthood Health Centers
- Let's Talk Month
- Breast Health Initiative
- National Spokespersons
- Press Releases
- In the News
- Fact Sheets & Reports
- PPFA Maggie Awards for Media Excellence
- PPFA Margaret Sanger Award Winners
- Planned Parenthood Gift Policy
- Advisory Boards & Initiatives
- Jobs & Volunteering
- Annual Report
- About This Site
- Contact Us
Planned Parenthood Honors Reproductive Rights Champions at Celebrity-Studded Gala Event
Dolores Huerta, Los Angeles Mayor Anthony Villaraigosa, the Grove Family, Working Assets and Judy Tabar Honored
LOS ANGELES — Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Los Angeles (PPLA) tonight hosted the annual star-studded Planned Parenthood gala to honor individuals and businesses that have made outstanding contributions to the sexual and reproductive health and rights movement. The gala is the highlight of the Planned Parenthood 2007 Annual Conference and Health Care Institute, which is attended by over 500 leaders and members of the organization, who work on the front lines of women's health care every day. "Planned Parenthood has much to celebrate. With the stunning shift in the political landscape following the November elections, Americans across the country endorsed our commonsense approach to women's health and rights. It is the vision and commitment of the individuals and businesses we honor tonight that make such change possible," said PPFA President Cecile Richards. "They have shown great courage, determination, and innovation in their efforts to support Planned Parenthood's goal that every woman, teen, and family has access to safe, affordable health care and can make their own decisions about their future." 2007 gala honorees included
- Legendary social activist and co-founder of the United Farm Workers of America, Dolores Huerta received Planned Parenthood's most prestigious award, the PPFA Margaret Sanger Award, for her life's work advancing women's rights. Past recipients include the Reverend Martin Luther King Jr., Sarah Weddington, Esq., and Katharine Hepburn.
- The Honorable Antonio R. Villaraigosa, mayor of the City of Los Angeles, was honored with the Planned Parenthood Hero Award, for his support of Planned Parenthood's mission and contribution to the defeat in November of Prop 85, a parental notification measure that endangered the health of teens. This is the first year this award has been given.
- The Grove Family, represented by Andy Grove, former CEO and chairman of the board of Intel Corporation, his wife Eva Grove, daughter Karen Grove, and granddaughter Sarah Grove, received the "Walk the Talk" Award for their intergenerational activism and generous support of Planned Parenthood's mission. This is the first year this award has been given.
- Working Assets, a company whose mission is to provide consumers with easy ways to support worthwhile causes every time they use Working Assets' services, received the Corporate Leadership Award for generating $50 million for progressive nonprofits since their founding in 1985, including $1.6 million for Planned Parenthood. This is the first year this award has been given.
- Judy Tabar, CEO of Planned Parenthood of Connecticut, received the Ruth Green Award, for her tireless advocacy for women's health.