We've gotten many requests from supporters wanting to know how to help. Here are a few suggestions:
- Sign up to volunteer for PPNNE. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Visit the "I am Dr. Tiller" website to tell your story at http://www.iamdrtiller.com/.
- Give a gift in his memory to the Laura Fund, which helps low income women access abortions. Send checks to: PPNNE, Program Support, 183 Talcott Rd, Suite 101, Williston, VT 05495.
- Write a letter to the editor.
- Ask Obama to commit to reviving the National Task Force on Violence Against Health Care Providers. Take Action.
We are deeply saddened by the murder of Dr. George Tiller. While he was not a Planned Parenthood provider, he was an integral part of our community and his loss is felt by all of us. The family of Dr. George Tiller expressed our sentiments in the wake of this senseless tragedy:
“Our loss is also a loss for the City of Wichita and women across America. George dedicated his life to providing women with high-quality heath care despite frequent threats and violence. We ask that he be remembered as a good husband, father and grandfather and a dedicated servant on behalf of the rights of women everywhere."
Dr. Tiller was the epitome of high quality medical care. His name was synonymous with compassion, dignity and courage. He provided critical reproductive health care services, including late-term abortion services to women facing unimaginable medical circumstances.
Dr. Tiller, and his courageous family, withstood countless threats and acts of violence in past decades, including arson, an assassination attempt in 1993 and legal harassment. Unwaveringly, he never backed down from his conviction to serve the most destitute women with respect.
His death is an enormous loss for the patients who relied on him, his dedicated staff, and the medical community.
In our grief, we ask that you join us in honoring him and the countless practitioners who dedicate their lives to providing services for women in the most difficult moments, with kindness and respect.