MEMPHIS, TN — August is National Vaccination Awareness Month—designed to raise awareness of the importance of vaccinations in preventing disease among children and adults. Several vaccinations are recommended for adolescents, teenagers, and young adults. Planned Parenthood Greater Memphis Region offers many of these vaccines at low cost to youngsters aged 9 to 18 who qualify for the Vaccines for Children (VFC) program.
The following groups are eligible for the Vaccines for Children Program:
- Children on TennCare or Medicaid or who are eligible for TennCare or Medicaid
- Children without health insurance
- Children whose health insurance doesn’t cover vaccinations
- American Indian and Alaska native children
PPGMR offers the following vaccinations for $13 a dose to qualifying individuals:
- Gardasil® vaccine against Human Papillomaviruses (HPV) that cause cervical cancer and genital warts. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends 3 doses two months apart for girls aged 11 and 12 and girls and women up to 26 years old who did not receive the vaccine when they were younger.
- Menactra® vaccine against meningococcal disease, which includes meningitis. Most Tennessee colleges require incoming students to provide proof they have been vaccinated against meningococcal disease.
- Boostrix® vaccine (Tdap) against tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis. The CDC recommends one dose for adolescents aged 11-18 and one dose for adults aged 19-64 who have not previously received a Tdap vaccine.
For more information about these vaccines or to find out if you qualify for the Vaccines for Children (VFC) program, call Planned Parenthood Greater Memphis Region at (901) 725-1717.
Planned Parenthood Greater Memphis Region (PPGMR), founded in 1938, is an affiliate of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. PPGMR’s mission is to ensure broad public access to reproductive and related health care through clinic services, education, advocacy and community partnerships in serving 42 counties in West Tennessee, North Mississippi and East Arkansas.